Sunday, February 22, 2009

Universe Forgive Me For I have Sinned...

It's been almost a month since my last confession!

Oh dear, where do I begin? Well, I've been meaning to write about the meeting I went to at the Mastic Beach Fire House for the village incorporation they're doing in the area. It was in the beginning of the month so I don't have everything fresh in my mind but I'll try my best.

It was a mild winter night. The stars were shining, and the trees were singing ... OK, let me stop. I wrote in my other post that I was on the fence about the whole issue but I think I've warmed up to it a lot. The way it'll work out any taxes currently being paid to the Town of Brookhaven (with the exception of taxes collected for school, law enforcement, and waste disposal) will go to the incorporated village. Basically, the village will be set up to do code-enforcement and for planning (ie. if you have a plot you want to build a home in or an addition to your own home). Also, the taxes that the cable company, phone, LIPA etc. charge will come to the town. The way they presented it was a bit of a bore and confused people (nothing like rambling about a whole bunch of numbers without even so much as a friggin powerpoint), but most of the people got the gist of it.

I would say support for it was very high, with a few exceptions. There were some people there thinking that their taxes were going to quadruple or something and they don't want to pay an extra $20 a month in taxes. Of course, if the state raises the tax on the sale of cigarettes they'll be more than happy to pay that extra $60 a month to blacken up their lungs.

No worries, as their opposition was quickly countered with the power of love from the Carebear bunch that imagined the streets clean, the values of their homes increasing by 1000%, and them being able to leave their bicycles in the front of their homes without fear of them being stolen because ... well, they'll be incorporated! And it'll suddenly be Pleasantville!

They were looking for volunteers to do the census (which is the next step towards incorporation), and I was thinking of signing up but I don't know if I'd have enough time. They were also selling these funky green and yellow lawn signs that said "I Support The Village" or something like that. I was going to buy 2 (they were like $5 each) but I knew they'd be gone the next day if I planted them on my lawn. Yep, it's gotten that bad the past few years. It was never like that when I moved out here. :(

That's about it. This post seems rushed and there's something "off" about it for me. Maybe it's because it's been a while and homie's gotta get his groove back.

No comments:

Post a Comment